The matter was taken up by the MMC after the issue was reported by TOI on September 1. MMC officials, along with police teams, reached the site on Saturday to evict the illegal occupants and out of the 40 families residing in these flats, 18 were evicted.
Speaking to TOI, executive officer of MMC, ML Shah said, “MMC had conducted a survey last week and had intimated the illegal residents to vacate the flats. As they didn’t abide by our orders, we are forcibly evicting them now.”
Meanwhile, the residents who were evicted vented their anger against the administration. “We were rehabilitated here after our houses were damaged four years ago. Now, we cannot be arbitrarily removed without even a notice. We will not vacate these houses,” said Anital Godiyal.
Residents alleged that the MMC was adopting a ‘biased attitude and that those residents’ who had the support of local politicians were not being evicted. “Why were only 18 families evicted? Why not all 40? A former chairman of MMC and his close aides had allowed a few families to occupy these flats and such families are not being removed,” said a resident, who did not wish to be named.Notably, MMC land on Tehri Bypass road had been taken by the administration to construct 90 flats for the financially weaker section under the JNNURM. However, only 40 flats could be constructed. Among these, 25 flats were fully constructed while the remaining 15 were left in semi-finished conditions. Later, all 40 flats were occupied by local residents.